Idioms and Phrases general english series#20
Below list of questions related to Idioms and Phrases asked in various competitive exams like SSC, IAS, GRE, GMAT etc.
1. He passed himself off as a noble man.
1. Pretended to be
2. Was looked upon
3. Was regarded as
4. Was thought to be
2. Since he knew what would happen, he should be left to stew in his own juice.
1. Make a stew
3. Suffer for his own act
4. Suffer in his own juice
3. In the organised society of today no individual or nation can plough a lonely furrow.
1. remain unaffected
2. do without the help of others
3. survive in isolation
4. remain non-aligned
4. Do no trust a man who blows his own trumpet.
2. praises others
3. praises himself
4. admonishes others
5. This matter has been hanging fire for the last many months and must therefore be decided one way or the other.
1. hotly debated
2. going on slowly
3. stuck up
6. I am afraid he is burning the candle at both ends and ruining his life.
1. wasting his money
2. becoming overgenerous
3. losing his objectives
4. overtaxing his energies
7. It was he who put a spoke in my wheel.
1. tried to cause an accident
2. helped in the execution of the plan
3. destroyed the plan
4. thwarted in the execution of the plan
8. I did not mind what he was saying, he was only through his hat.
1. talking nonsense
2. talking ignorantly
3. talking irresponsibly
4. talking insultingly
9. Sobhraj could be easily arrested because the police were tipped off in a advance.
1. Toppled over
3. Given advance information
10. He is out and out a reactionary.
2. no more
3. in favour of
4. deadly against
To stay updated download Examsbook andorid app now.